CGF will try to explain how Google Page Rank works and benefits you in simple to understand English.
How Does PageRank Work?
1. PageRank is only one of numerous methods Google uses to determine a page’s relevance or importance via 0-10. Obviously 10 is the best.
2. Google interprets a link from page A to page B as a vote, by page A, for page B. Google looks not only at the sheer volume of votes; among 100 other aspects it also analyzes the page that casts the vote. However, these aspects don’t count, when PageRank is calculated.
3. PageRank is based on incoming links, but not just on the number of them – relevance and quality are important (in terms of the PageRank of sites, which link to a given site). PR(A) = (1-d) + d(PR(t1)/C(t1) + … + PR(tn)/C(tn)). That’s the equation that calculates a page’s PageRank. Not all links weight the same when it comes to PR.
4. If you had a website with a PR8 and had 1 link on it, the site linked to would get a fair amount of PR value. But, if you had 100 links on that page, each individual link would only get a fraction of the value.
5. Bad incoming links don’t have impact on Page Rank.
6. They say ranking popularity considers site age, backlink relevancy and backlink duration. PageRank doesn’t. (This confused us)
7. Content is not taken into account when PageRank is calculated.
8. PageRank does not rank websites as a whole, but is determined for each page individually. Each inbound link is important to the overall total. Except banned sites, which don’t count.
9. Each Page Rank level is progressively harder to reach. PageRank is “believed” to be calculated on a logarithmic scale.
10. Google calculates pages PRs permanently, but we see the update once every few months (Google Toolbar).
Now this is basic information and the logarithmic calculation is very difficult to explain so we will make it simple to understand. First, understand if your site has a low page rank is not the end of the world. Eight of the top 10 websites on the Internet PR varies from 7-9. Hell, YouTube PR is a 9 and they are owned by Google! It makes you wonder if it is even possible to get a PR-10.
CGF ran our own tests and this is what worked for us as we started with four fishing domain (websites) names. Domain 1. was less then a year old. Domain 2. was five years old. Domain 3. was 10 years old. Domain 4. was a three year old blogger account. All domains/websites/blogs had accurate relevant content and all basically got the same amount of PR ranked backlinks. After nine months we checked the rank (domains/websites/blogs) for their Google PR.
Domain 1. PR-2
Domain 2. PR-4 (Started with PR-2)
Domain 3. PR-5 (Started with PR-2)
Domain 4. PR-1 (Blogger)
In a nutshell
A higher Google PageRank does not necessarily mean you’ll get more traffic. BUT much more relevant traffic and all new site content will be index instantly and usually in the top ten search engine (SE) listing and stay there compared to lower PR websites. Also, our test showed the higher PR the easier it was to rank for very competitive keywords/phrases. Many times the PR-5 website outranked professionally managed websites. Webmasters grew angry with us because our site outranked theirs with content that read: My dog Spot went to the river (famous fly-fishing spot) and caught a trophy brown trout using a silver spoon he found in the dog catchers ass ETC. The images on the site were stick-figures drawn with MS paint shop. The PR-4 website outranked many websites using Latin temp text and English keywords/phrases and balloon (titled correctly) images . No joke!
The point is we were never able to prove the PageRank concept or maybe even understand logarithmic scale 100%. Matter of fact, the time researching and trying to understand the PR formula could be used for easier methods to get quality traffic. What our tests did prove is that older domains with quality backlinks will get you a high PR quickly. Period. The main obstacles we came across was other webmasters furious they were outranked and it is possible to kill someones PR ranking. Call it logarithmic scale Kung fu? This opened our eyes to new marketing techniques and quickly learned this brilliant style of Kung Fu ourselves.
Is there an easier way to get a better Page Rank other then trying to find or buy an older domain or spending endless hours getting quality backlinks? As we researched/tested more (in many cases) we were able to get 1-2 year old websites to PR-2-3′s in a matter of months. All you have to do is join us and we will be happy to explain the details.
Tags: Google page rank